NEW CIPA REQUIREMENTS
New CIPA Requirements have come down from the FCC which effect a districts eligibility to receive E-Rate Funds. The following is from Lee Bray at MDE:
In order to be eligible to receive E-Rate discounts, new CIPA legislation mandates that all School Districts comply with the following:
1. By July 1, 2012, CIPA requires the adoption and enforcement of an new or updated “Internet Safety Policy” addressing the following new requirements:
- The education of minors about appropriate online behavior, including interacting with other individuals on social networking sites and in chat rooms
- Cyberbullying awareness and response
2. By July 1, 2012, prior to adoption of any new “Internet Safety Policies” a public hearing must be held.
3. During the 2012-2013 school year, all Districts must educate minors about appropriate online behavior, including: Interacting with other individuals on social networking websites, interacting with others in chat rooms, and cyberbullying awareness and response.
Details can be found on this page under FCC Updates CIPA Rules:
If you need any additional assistance, give me a call at 601-359-3487.
Mississippi Department of Education
Management Information Systems